Four months ago (August 2012), 3 days of unprecedented heavy rain caused floods that killed more than 130 people, affected more than 3.7 million individuals, displaced close to a million persons and damaged more than 9,000 houses in Manila and Luzon. Food and water were scarce in affected areas, many of which were unreachable due to damaged roads. Disease outbreaks followed.
- On behalf of the victims, we sent daily prayer alerts and requests to our friends and partners worldwide.
- We sent much-needed financial aid to 8 family victims in the worst-hit province of Pampanga in Central Luzon.
- On August 16, we visited and comforted the pastor, leaders and members of Iglesia Evangelica Unida de Cristo (IEUC) in Marulas, Valenzuela, Metro Manila.
- With our IEUC brothers and sisters, we visited and comforted children and family flood victims in slum communities by the Valenzuela River and in the market area.
- On August 18, we distributed relief goods and shared the Gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to more than 30 family victims-survivors.
- Two months later, on October 20, we conducted a basic Bible teaching seminar for the children victims-survivors and their parents.
- We started a modular theological training program for the pastors and lay leaders of the IEUC denomination.
- Our first whole-day session was conducted on October 23. Subjects taught were the Doctrine of Justification, Expository Survey of Genesis 1-3 and an Overview of the Biblical History of Redemption.
- Our second whole-day session was conducted on December 18. Subjects taught were Basic Soteriology in the Old and New Testaments, Expository Survey of Genesis 4 and the Doctrine of Conversion and Its Fruits.
- With our IEUC brothers and sisters, on December 22, an evangelistic Christmas Party and Gift-Giving was conducted for 41 children, mostly from slum communities.
Indeed, our gracious God and Father used our ministry of compassion to open doors for teaching, training and church reformation in Metro Manila. Lord willing and providing, we intend to keep visiting, encouraging, teaching and preaching to the flood victims and our IEUC brothers and sisters in Valenzuela, Metro Manila.
Please continue praying for us and our mission outreach in Metro Manila.
- Please pray for our team and families. May the Lord protect and preserve us and our loved ones as we travel quarterly to minister to the IEUC congregation in Valenzuela and the flood victims who live in the slums.
- Please pray for IUEC pastors and leaders whom we are training in God’s word. May the Holy Spirit work reformation in their hearts, lives, families and their churches.
- Please pray for the Holy Spirit to convert and save many of the flood victims. May He work faith in the hearts of both children, adults and parents in the slum areas.
Open Eyes Mission
Account Number: 870055054
Banco De Oro Universal Bank
SM City Cagayan de Oro
Swift Code: BNORPHMM
Open Eyes Mission
c/o Pastor Glem Melo
Blk 31 Lot 32 Daisy Street
Camella Hm, U Balulang
Cagayan de Oro City
To learn more about us and our ministry to flood victims, visit our Sendong Door ® page here.
Pastor Glem Melo